Monday 17 June 2013

Monday 17th. Breeding Bird Survey

The second visit was hanging over me as the weather had not been the best for getting up early and walking round my BBS square, but as I was going away for a week I decided now or never. We got up at 6 o'clock and after a quick cup of tea we headed for my square. It was dry when we left but was spitting by the time we got 2 minutes down the road. It had more or less stopped by the time we got there and et off across the fields. It was lovely to walk through this 'organic meadow' with buttercups, marguerites, lesser stitchwort and field geranium.



Bird numbers seemed to be down and some areas were very quiet. We did find a nightingale singing in the woody area across the road. As we returned along the footpath we found about 10 Spotted Orchids along the field edge.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment