Friday 14 March 2014

A different woodland

After home chores and lunch hubby and I decided to take a stroll round Hemsted for a change. I heard my first and second calling chiffchaff, several Robins and a few Blue and Great Tits. We also found a couple of pairs of Coal tits, 3 species of butterflies, Small Tort, Comma and Peacock with a couple of Great Spot drumming and a Song Thrush singing in the distance.
A small flock of Crossbills flew in and fed in the tops of some trees for about 5 minutes accompanied by a pair of Siskin before flying away again. As I walked I thought about the differences between the French Birch and Beech wood I was in last week and this mixed conifer and chestnut woodland. One thing I looked out for was evidene of leaf miners - in France there were trails on many of the bramble leaves but here I only found one.   
A lovely, warm early spring afternoon


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment